This weekend we I will be teaching on listening prayer. For years we have taught and heard that praying is talking to God. But it is also listening to the Lord. When we are commanded to seek the Lord, it is to find him and to commune with God. Some Scriptures
- Jeremiah 33:3 (NASB95) ‘Call to Me and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and mighty things, which you do not know.
- 1 Chronicles 22.19a “Now set your heart and your soul to seek the Lord your God…”
- Deuteronomy 4:29 “But from there you will seek the Lord your God, and you will find Him if you search for Him with all your heart and all your soul
- Proverbs 8:17 (NASB95) “I love those who love me; And those who diligently seek me will find me.”
To listen to the Lord you need to be alone and set apart time. Put away the phone and distractions and make time to listen. There are so many distractions that rob us of our love relationship with our Heavenly Father.
Pray and speak Scripture, worship, thank him out loud, and then just be silent. That is the key and man is that hard sometimes.
Be ready for God to speak to you. Believe that He will. He will speak through that inner voice in our spirit-man, through impressions, emotions, or just His presence will speak so much without words.
When he speaks he reveals things about Himself to you, His purposes, and His ways. It will be deeply personal, and your prayer time will be more exciting than just “saying prayers,” and talking all the time.
What does my time of prayer look like?
My prayer life now includes Praying in the Spirit (tongues), praying Scripture, and reading Scripture out loud. I take time for intercession, as I pray for others, my family, church needs, my children . I keep a journal and jot down thought, prayers, impression and i try to sit in silence. I also use
- The Morning and Evening Prayers of the “Daily Office” in Emotionally Healthy Spirituality.
- I do the “Daily Office” of the Northumbria morning and evening prayers.
- I also at times use Kenneth Boa’s “Handbook to Prayer” and the “Celtic Daily Prayer”
- I am reading through the Bible.
- I do journal and write down a lot.
I believe through this journey the last several years of Spiritual Transformation, since first reading “Celebration of Discipline” and rereading it a few time, I have a closer relationship with my Father and I hear His voice so much better.
Looking forward to seeing more of us grow in Listening prayer. So remember, you can’t listen if you are talking!