The Definition for Divergent. Divergent means “tending to be different or develop in different directions.” I believe God’s people, the followers of Jesus are called to be divergent with this world’s culture in many ways. I don’t mean just dress, hair style, jeans, or cars we drive. I don’t believe we are called to all look and dress the same or appear to be some sort of cult-like thing. I am referring to being different in our lives and hearts.
2 Corinthians 6:17–18 (NASB95) “Therefore, come out from their midst and be separate,” says the Lord. “And do not touch what is unclean; And I will welcome you. “And I will be a father to you, And you shall be sons and daughters to Me,” Says the Lord Almighty.
Again, this does not mean the church becomes a commune, or we all move to a camp or compound to avoid being in this world. But we are taught here by the Apostle Paul to be seperate. This means that we do not participate in evil or in things that are not pleasing to the Lord. Obviously, as Jesus followers we do not want to participate in sin. There are many things in our culture that are perfectly acceptable and legal, to this world, but it is not good for us, and does not reflect that we are followers of Christ. He has called us and wants us to be different. In what ways do we clash with this culture that we need to “separate ourselves?”. Let me give you some examples.
- Greed and materialism -vs- giving, selflessness, and treasures in Heaven.
- Selfishness and pursuit of pleasure -vs- putting God and others first.
- Sexual freedom and immoral sexual attitudes -vs- sexual purity, and a biblical understanding of marriage and sexuality.
- Bitterness and unforgiveness -vs- Loving, forgiveness, and grace.
- Eternity mocked -vs- Eternal world view
I think you understand what I am saying. As followers of Jesus, we must be different. Our lives, our world views, our values, our habits, our money, our relationships, and our destination.
Questions to ponder
- are you participating in compromising and siful things that culture has accepted?
- Are you being everything Christ has called you to, forsaking the pleasures and pursuits of this world and “storing up for yourselves treasures in heaven (Matt. 6.20)?
- Is your life a testimony of Jesus or is your life not distinguished from anyone else who has no knowledge of Christ?
Be Divergent. Go to the next level in living. Pure living has amazing benefits, and we do not reap the pain of sin, selfishness, and compromise. Our kids will benefit from our commitment to Christ. Our marriage will be blessed, and we will reflect to all that we know God.
Divergent Living is Missional Living