Staying interested and engaged in the things of God takes discipline and tenacity. It is God’s will for us. It is His desire we grow in our relationship with him. It is easy to get out of the habits and disciplines that cause our spiritual interest and hunger to stay on Christ. It is too easy to drift and to move back to the things of this world that have nothing to offer us spiritually and add nothing positive to our life. Our old ways can creep back. Here are some practical ways to keep engaged in the Lord.
- Have a Bible reading and Bible study plan. If not, you will most likely just skip around and neglect the Word of God altogether. Reading the Word is communing with the Spirit of God.
- Serve in the Kingdom. Do something for others and for the Lord. Get out of just thinking of your life, your schedule, your finances, your health and do something for God and serve others.
- Talk to the Lord more. Pray daily. Make it a habit this year to pray before meals, at bed, in the morn, while you drive, just talk to the Lord more.
- Become a worshiper. Learn to go deeper in expressing your love to the Lord. Decide you are not going to care what anyone thinks, and worship.
- Access your life and habits. Is there anything quenching your desire for Christ? Any sin you are not being honest about? Shows and website you should not be viewing? Missing going to church a lot and you no longer think anything of it? Temper, swearing, anger, too common and needs to go?
- Do generous things. The Holy Spirit moves in us when we are generous for the Lord is so generous to us in so many ways.
- Make it a goal to grow in Christ with others. Get in a small group, host one, or lead one. Growing in life and community with others is God’s way. We were created for relationship.
- Enjoy Jesus– He is awesome. Fellowship with His Spirit is amazing. His love is great and His friendship priceless. If you are not enjoying a relationship with the living God, you may not know Him that well. Start to enjoy the Lord and His presence in your life.
Anything else you would add?