Many times the word “repentance” brings up a negative connotation or an intense revival-type situation. But may I encourage you to have a daily lifestyle of repentance? I believe it is healthy, and will cause you to grow in Christ deeper, and quicker.
Repentance means to have a response of sorrow that lead to a changed mind, life, and direction.
So when the Lord, by His Spirit reveals to us that we are “off course” in honoring God, or that we are in need of change, in attitude, heart, or behavior, we need to engage in this spiritual discipline called “repentance”
This would include a chat with Jesus that would include 3 components.
- An acknowledgement of sin (confession) with asking forgiveness.
- Praise and thanksgiving for God’s mercy, grace, and total forgiveness.
- Asking the Lord for the power and strength to overcome and not repeat the sin, but to continue to be like Christ.
A growing Christian is sensitive to the voice of God that lets us know when we need some “repentance”
Let me give you FIVE reasons we need repentance as part of our lifestyle.
- We become more sensitive to the Holy Spirit’s voice and direction
- We become more sensitive to since, thus we get more victory.
- We grow closer to Jesus and the relationship become more intimate.
- You become more like Christ as unChrist-like behavior, speech, and attitudes are weeded out of your life.
- You experience a few things, joy, peace, contentment, and the mercy and love of Christ.
Would you consider, if you are not, making “repentance” part of your lifestyle? You will never be the same, you will never stop growing, and you will never regret what Christ can do for a heart that always wants to be totally right with him, and sin free.