Many may wonder or ask why Wendy and I have a great marriage. We do, not a perfect one, as no one is perfect, but a great one. I am a blessed man to be married to Wendy. I have known Wendy for 30 years and married for 26. We met in a Christian Bookstore and the Lord orchestrated it all, so our relationship would glorify him and bless us. Here are some quick reasons why our marriage is great, vibrant, growing, and full of love.
- We don’t just love each other! We like each other.
- We have learned to live for the other, not for ourselves. It is hard sometimes, but we strive for unselfishness. We serve each other.
- We know that “love covers a multitude of sins”, and we don’t freak out at each other for every little thing.
- We don’t control each other. So common and so unhealthy.
- We live out to each other “Do unto others as you would have other do unto you.”
- We protect our marriage from outside things that would want to tear our marriage apart. We practice relational, emotional, and sexual integrity and purity. We do not flirt or overly communicate with others of the opposite sex.
- We don’t share our marriage with others, or talk to others about things only Wendy and I should discuss.
- We are honest.
- I lead my family spiritually and don’t push it off on Wendy. Guys, this is the key.
- I father my children and support her.
- We get away, and communicate. Not as much as we would like but more often than most couples. Make time for each other.
- We take on issues and circumstances as a united front and don’t attack each other.
- We laugh together and joke with each other.
- We don’t live separate lives with separate friends, and separate interests, with separate checkbooks, separate churches, or separate values.
- We pray for each other, encourage each other, and grow in love on purpose.
- We do not say the “D” word, ever (divorce).
- We value each other and respect each other, so we do not communicate with anger, name calling, disrespect, personal attacks or hate.
- We do not go to clubs or bars, we do not drink, or take part in the sensuality of society. WE do not flirt with the world’s idea of fun and leisure.
- We love Jesus with all of our heart, and our children.
- We never gave up, learned these skills, and moved forward with hope and faith.
I hope that encourages you. I pray your marriage will grow through all the seasons of life.
NOTE: If you are a pastor or ministry leader reading this, we have done marriage seminars and would be glad to talk to you about scheduling one. Contact Wendy @ firstname.lastname@example.org